Calling all Shelbys
Saturday, May 26, 2012
10am – noon
The Mercury News Campus
750 Ridder Park Drive
San Jose, 95190 (see map below)
We are inviting all Shelbys of all kinds: Cobras, GT40s, Shelby Mustangs, Shelby recreations, Shelby designed cars, & Shelby powered vehicles to participate in this tribute to honor Carroll Shelby.
All cars will be lined up on the beautiful, park-like setting front lawn area of The Mercury News campus for the largest gathering of Shelbys in the Bay Area for a picture taken from a crane by photographers Richard Sieve and Dennis Mattish. The picture will be taken around 10am. We will have special guest speakers that knew Carroll Shelby and knew about his cars and his legacy.
About The Ceremony
- The National Anthem
- Guest speakers (total time 30 minutes)
- A moment of silence in honor of Carroll Shelby
- A moment of noise “Start Your Engines”. All cars start up in unison for 45 seconds in honor of Carroll Shelby
- Picture will be taken
- All Shelby guests will sign one large card
The picture will be printed and framed and sent along with a large card signed by all participants to the Shelby Company & family in appreciation and respect for the work Carroll Shelby has done.
There is no cost to participate in or to view this once in a lifetime public ceremony.
Just a Few Simple Rules:
- Please respect any celebrities present at this event.
- No vendors, no marketing, no passing of fliers, no exceptions. Please do not ask.
- A simple RSVP by email would be appreciated and helpful to plan set up.
- Club group Presidents should contact Mike Hennessy.
- PLEASE RESPECT THE GROUNDS: ALL SHELBY CARS MUST BE ESCORTED INTO PLACE ON THE LAWN by the event staff. This will start at 9am. Cars must be escorted off of the lawns, too.
- No alcohol or stereos playing.
- Picture taking time will be announced at the Ceremony to alert drivers to stand by their Shelby.
- All spectators in attendance are welcome to join in and gather around behind the cars to be included in the picture.
Some Final Notes:
Omega Printing has offered to do a poster print for those interested. (Pricing should be under $15.00 each) A portion of the proceeds will go directly to the Carroll Shelby Children’s Foundation.
This event could not be made possible without the help and support of Rick Schiller and The Mercury News. The cost of putting this together is supported by some of us local car enthusiasts such as Joe Testa & Mike Hennessy. These costs are for restrooms, crane, sound, & anthem. All of the parking assistants, photographers, and guest speakers have all volunteered their time. Newspapers all over the Bay Area and radio stations have donated these ads. We thank all car participants for your support in this tribute to Carroll Shelby. We want to thank you all for participating.